Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Graffiti Game

I wasn't aware of the word vandalism in grade one. If I had a piece of fat coloured chalk in my hand, it was all about scribbling on brick walls and smooth pavements near my apartment building. All the kids in my neighborhood did it; the older kids called it the graffiti game. My friends and I drew pictures all over the pavement in the summer; usually the one who drew the most won. It sounds pretty dull now, but at the age of five everything is amusing.

On the first day of school for grade one; I found many pieces of colourful chalk in a small box, on the ledge of the chalkboard. Assuming that it was "free," I took several pieces and handed them out to my two best friends, Gilbert and Lora. We started are game at recess using the clean brick wall at the side of the school. All the kids in the yard, gathered around us to watch us draw our "masterpieces." It was so fun that we quickly ran out of chalk. Of course, I was the only one who knew where the secret stash of chalk was so I decided to get more from the classroom. To my surprise, there was a teacher standing in front of the school door, frowning, her hand pointing towards the wall my friends and I drew on.

"Are you supposed to be drawing on school walls?" she asked sternly. I gulped; my friends and I were caught at the scene of the "crime." I felt my stomach twist in nervousness as she led my friends and I, to the principals office. Things didn't turn out so good after the incident. The teacher, who snitched on my friends and I, was my teacher for the next school year. Oh joy.

All A Part Of Me [c] 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment